Friday, April 30, 2010

Jumping In Head First

So instead of doing the usual introductions, I am just going to jump right into this. Let's face it - anyone reading this disastrous thing at this point in the game already knows too much. I've been contemplating starting a blog for a while now but had all the usual worries (I don't have enough time, I am not interesting, I suck at writing, etc) but when I confessed to my dear neighbor last night that I sometimes compose my blog posts in my head while I am driving in the car or something, she convinced me to start this thing up. So here goes nothing...

Warning: Don't expect any deep insights to life. I plan on telling you what's going on with us and what we are up to at any given day. Take from it what you like.

So, if anyone has talked to me lately, they have probably heard my endless complaining about changing my name (it sucks!). I've been taking it all one step at a time. The first one was easy - my nameplate on my office door. In fact, all I had to do was come back from the honeymoon and there is was...staring at me...taking me out of my honeymoon vacation bliss and bringing me back into the real work - the daily grind. The next step was the social security office. Despite the horror stories I've heard about long waits, the downtown Houston office was surprisingly fast and pain free (minus the weirdos staring at me as they waited for their SS benefits that month.) Just a short 2 weeks later and there it was in the mail. It's official - or maybe it was official when I added it on facebook - I don't know. So, then I took my shiny new social security card to my local drivers license office to apply for a new license.

Can I take just a quick moment to vent - WHY IS TEXAS 45 YEARS BEHIND IN THEIR DRIVERS LICENSE TECHNOLOGY!?!? I am pretty sure every other state has a nifty machine that just spits a new one out in 30 seconds, but no, in Texas you get a piece of paper that acts as your license until your real one arrives in 2-8 weeks. Yes, 2-8 weeks.

Okay, I feel a little better. So back to the saga. Now I have the social security card, the (almost) driver's license and a couple of credit cards sitting there with my new name, but not yet activated. I don't know what is holding me back. Its been harder than I thought to give up my old name. I know one of these days I am going to have to start the hardest part - actually introducing myself as the new me...wifey. I know one day it will be completely natural but right now it sucks!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name change thing has been pretty easy for me - JL

    ReplyDelete