Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Champagne Tasting Bridal Shower

When I agreed to plan my dear friend Lisa's bridal shower, I immediately put a call into the future bride to discuss details. After hearing her hopes and dreams for a good old fashioned tea party in which all the guests wear big hats, I immediately threw that out the window (sorry, Lis!). A destination wedding, guests traveling from across the ocean and costumes just don't mix, in my opinion.

So, I started brainstorming Googleing for a different idea while also thinking about the bride and her personality. I stumbled upon a Champagne tasting theme somewhere and was immediately inspired. The idea was to choose 5 or 6 varieties of champagne and sparking wines and cover up the bottles to do a blind taste test. LOVE IT!

Overall, I think it turned out extremely well!





The shower was held from 3:30 to 5:30, so we just provided light hors deveours and snacks. I chose a few cheeses, including a nice brie, fruit and berries that go well with champagne and some sweets (chocolate chip cookies, pecan sandies and chocolate mexican cookies). I wanted to get mini cupcakes but the bakery was out of them when I got there! Since the shower was hosted in a gorgeous rental home in Savannah, I didn't do a lot for decor. Just some simple flowers in little vases and tea pots set throughout the home.



I also made a simple champagne punch for guests to drink when they arrived (and some sparking waters, sodas, etc for the non-drinkers). The punch is great for Christmas too! It's 2 parts champagne to one part triple sec and a splash of cranberry juice for color. I also float some fresh cranberries on top to add pizzazz. If you make this at home, you may want to play with the amount of triple sec. After some taste testing, we ended up using less triple sec than called for because the champagne we used was quite sweet.




I wrapped the champagne bottles in a pretty wrapping paper that matched the theme of the invitations. I numbered the bottles 1 -6, so I could keep track of which ones we were tasting. I also DIYed some score cards for everyone to make notes and keep track of their favorites.










Everyone had a great time with the tasting. It was fun to discover who has cheap taste (unfortunately its not yours truly!). The other theme of the shower was "monograms" so the bride got lots of cute personalized items. It was lots of fun and I would highly recommend it over your run-of-the-mill bridal shower any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment